Medic Management Group provides a customized mix of practice management and operational and financial consulting services to meet the complex, changing needs of clients in the health care industry. With first-hand experience in numerous practice and hospital environments, our professionals know how to strategically and successfully help clients overcome multiple challenges.
Mount Carmel Medical Group operates from more than 20 locations and includes more than 130 primary care and specialty physicians throughout central Ohio.
Mount Carmel Medical Group had four challenges:
- The group needed assistance in developing a data reporting system for its physicians to help the group and its doctors track performance.
- During electronic medical record implementation planning, the group needed help mapping current workflow in 28 practices and identifying gaps that would be created by the EMR process.
- The group acquired a practice that needed significant coding support, requiring outside assistance.
- It sought interim director level support for 14 primarycare practices.
APPROACH / SOLUTION
Medic Management Group's professionals successfully helped on each front.
- Data reporting: Medic Management Group created a monthly dashboard using data downloaded from Mount Carmel Medical Group's NextGen system that enables it to report performance by physician, practice, sub-specialty and specialty. This report includes trending, visit tracking, coding curves, MGMA percentile, and payor mix. In addition, the dashboards have evolved as the group has become more familiar with the data and as the physicians have asked for specific information related to their practices. Medic Management Group has been responsive to requests to include new data or to alter reporting methodology.
- Workflow mapping: Exceeding expectations for turnaround time and work quality, Medic Management Group's analysts were flexible with schedules and willing to spend time at multiple locations to ensure the data was complete and accurate. In addition, Medic Management Group engaged with physicians who wanted to have input into the process, but its professionals were careful to not interrupt daily operations of the practices. Reports were clear and concise, and recommendations were realistic.
- Coding support: SMedic Management Group's coding team met with Mount Carmel Medical Group's internal coding auditors ahead of time to ensure they were in agreement regarding documentation and coding. With an emphasis on client service, our team continually communicated during implementation and regularly updated the group on trends we observed and opportunities for documentation improvement. We worked with the manager of the practice and were flexible in accommodating the practice's high volume of weekly charges.
- Interim director support: Medic Management Group's consultant immediately took ownership of the practices for which he was responsible. He also made an effort to quickly integrate himself into the leadership team by connecting with his peers and offering assistance outside of his assigned duties. He consistently and appropriately communicated with the group's leader and the physicians. He was organized and even helped with a tough practice acquisition.
Medic Management Group maintains communication with the group to ensure ongoing work is seamless and successful.